Daniel G. Hasenstab is a partner with Brown & James, P.C., practicing in the firm’s Belleville, Illinois office. He joined the firm in 2003 and became a principal partner in 2010.
Mr. Hasenstab focuses his practice on both insurance coverage matters and premises liability. He often defends tavern owners in dram shop and negligence cases. Dan has argued insurance coverage cases in the Fourth and Fifth Appellate Districts as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. He also assists in the firm’s Arson-Fraud practice group and has helped train arson investigators to be effective trial witnesses.
Dan graduated fourth in his class at Saint Louis University School of Law. He serves as a “judge” for moot court classes and competitions at St. Louis University and Southern Illinois University. He also participates as an arbitrator in the St. Clair County (IL) mandatory arbitration program.
Academic Honors & Activities:
Editor, Saint Louis University Law Journal
Published Appellate Opinions:
Trtanj v. City of Granite City, 884 N.E.2d 741 (Ill. App. 5 Dist. 2008)
Recent Successful Case Results:
- Convinced an appellate court to affirm our insurance client’s denial of liability coverage for the repair or replacement of an insured’s defective work product. Design Concrete Foundations, Inc. v. Erie Insurance Property & Casualty Co., No. 5-13-0353, Illinois Appellate Court for the Fifth District.
- Obtained a defense verdict for the owner of a gymnastics facility accused of failing to supervise a child who was injured using the gym’s equipment. Ronda Treece v. Snow Power Unlimited, Inc., No. 10-L-113, Williamson County, Illinois.
- Obtained a declaratory judgment in favor of our insurance client, in which the court found that our client had no duty to defend a restaurant owner accused of retaliating against an employee after she filed a discrimination claim. State Farm Fire and Cas. Co. v. Eric Wortham, et al, No. 14-MR-301, Madison County, Illinois.
- Obtained summary judgment for client in $5 million insurance coverage case, State Auto Property and Casualty Insurance Company v. Northern Harvest, Inc., No. 08-2132, U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois.
- Obtained defense verdict in favor of insurance producer accused of failing to provide client with adequate insurance, Raymond and Norma Trimble v. Tracey Insurance & Financial Services, 07-L-4, Crawford County, Illinois.